Saturday, August 18, 2012

Misty-eyed over food, that must be a first...

Mistura

I recently travelled to Toronto and decided to eat at Chef Massimo Capra’s Mistura having been recommended as something I had to try and having seen Chef Massimo on Cityline and seeing him on the food network I decided to go.
Chef Massimo Capra

To say that Mistura was a religious experience is a gross understatement.  From the moment I walked through the doors I knew I was in for a very special experience.  The restaurant is spectacularly decorated, the staff exemplary, attentive and friendly and never have I seen such attention to detail.
Our meal began with Buffala Mozzarella and Carpaccio Di Manzo, both of which I have had many opportunities to sample elsewhere, however nothing on this scale or exquisite flavour.  When I savoured the very first bite of my carpaccio, it quite literally brought tears to my eyes and took my breath away.  Never have I’ve eaten something so incredible, I wish I could have frozen that very moment in time and replay it over an over again.

Carpaccio

My dinner companion was equally taken aback by the taste of her Buffala, she exclaimed with bright eyes opened wide that never had she eaten something so delicious.  The presentation of the dish along with the attention to detail right down to the jellied balsamic vinegar and grilled eggplant was nothing short of heavenly.

Buffala Mozzarella wrapped in grilled eggplant

Next we enjoyed a pasta dish with sweet sausage in a tomato based sauce and Capesante (scallops).  Again we were brought to our knees at the incredible flavour that the kitchen had prepared for us and savoured every last morsel.  My friend, who is not normally a huge fan of sausage, marvelled at how delicious her meal was and even stated how she wished she could eat it all over again.

Pasta with sweet sausage in tomato sauce
I am a huge fan of scallops and have been ordering them on a more frequent basis trying to satisfy my craving for that perfectly prepared dish.  I had even hesitated ordering them at Mistura due to the fact that I had so often been disappointed with them everywhere else that I had.  I’m so glad that I did as I shudder to think what I would have missed out on.  The first thing I was in awe of was the sheer size of them.   Never have I seen such massive scallops seared to utter perfection.  The presentation of the dish was such a delight it was a travesty to even taste it.  Again when I took in that first heavenly bite, it stopped me dead in my tracks and I sighed in relief proclaiming “finally, this is what I’ve been looking for.”  And again my eyes began to tear up as I took in every millisecond of that bite.  The dish was nothing short of genius and having all of this paired with the incredible bottle of 2007 Amarone red wine made it that much better.

Seared scallops over white bean purée, crispy duck prosciutto,
pea shoot salad & brown butter brandy sauce

Huge scallops!
Last but not least, we treated ourselves to Tortina Dark Chocolate Brownie with amarena cherries, praline ice cream and salted caramel.  I am a huge fan of brownies despite not having a very sweet tooth.  Again we were rendered speechless at the flavours that burst forth as well as the sheer artistry of the dessert.  Thankfully no one was injured when fighting over the last few delectable crumbs.

Dark Chocolate Tortina "Brownie" with amarena cherries, praline ice cream & salted caramel
I have no doubt that Chef Massimo probably receives many compliments from many patrons to his establishments and is no stranger to praise.  I am by no means a VIP calibre patron, but at the same time I do enjoy a good meal and often do take advantage of the various fine dining establishments both at home and when I travel.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt that our experience at Mistura was quite simply the best dining experience we have ever had the privilege of taking in; so much so that I couldn’t possibly in good conscious ever order scallops or carpaccio ever again anywhere else as truly believe no one could come close to what Mistura was able to create.

I enjoyed the meal so much that I would not hesitate to travel the 4 hours to Toronto just to have dinner at Mistura and drive home afterwards.  I will definitely return and my only hope is that I will get to Meet Chef Massimo Capra in person to thank him and tell him first hand how incredible his restaurant truly is. 

I hope my words here today have done a fraction of the justice to Chef Massimo, his restaurant and his staff deserve for a truly special night.  Grazie mille per la bella serata!

Mistura
265 Davenport Road
Toronto ON
M5R 1J9
416-515-0009
http://www.mistura.ca
Mistura on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment